Outdoor school…Arkansas…Krav Qualifier…VBS …Suzuki camp…Worldview camp. All of these plans were thrown over a cliff. In a matter of days my whole summer turned upside-down.
It began Sunday with an upset stomach, this upset stomach turned to cramps, pain, vomiting, and loss of appetite. I became well acquainted with the nurses in urgent care as the many doctors I saw tried to diagnose my pain. After many mistakes, it was decided that my appendix must go! It so happened that my appendix had burst and was now (and for at least the last 48 hours) infecting everything in its path. We rushed to emergency surgery and awaited the surgeon’s arrival. After about 3 hours he arrived to discuss his plans. I was so blessed that the Department Head was the surgeon on call that night and that he was the one to “cut me open.” I had very little fear as I lay on the operating table, I thank God for this. He gave me a sense of peace throughout the evening and into the first night of recovery. The hospital stay was quite nice. I was treated like a princess by all of the nurses there, and felt like a queen when so many wonderful people came by to see me. It was so encouraging how many friends stopped by, I felt very much loved.
As I lay in my hospital bed, I began to wonder why God was putting me through this trial. I wondered what sort of lessons he was trying to teach me. Slowly I began to see, at least one lesson taught to me as I lay staring at the ceiling. I was supposed to be at outdoor school with my family the coming weekend. It was to be the last W.I.S.E. science outdoor school; our teacher was retiring. This class meant a lot to me, and I had made so many plans for this year. All of these hopes were dashed. In terror I wondered if I would be able to go to the next summer activity on my list, a ten day trip to Arkansas!
I had been looking forward to this summer for a very long time; It was to be a very busy end exciting 3 months. What would I do now; all of my plans seemed to be crumbling around me. That is when I began to realize what I was to learn from this trial. I like to know what is going on, and how we are going to do it. I thought I had complete control over my summer, I assumed that it would all go as I had planned it. This was not to be the case though. I realized that God is in control—not me. He can change all of my plans instantly. I realized that I had not been letting God make the plans in my life. I thought I knew the best way to plan my summer, but God had an even better plan. He has blessed me all the way through this crisis, and has shown His hand of control throughout the whole posses. I can rest there.
“Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7
Thanks for sharing, Hannah. You're right...whenever we think we have everything together, whenever we think we're holding the reins to our lives, God gives them a slight tug to remind us who's really in charge. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, Hannah! :( I'm so sorry!! Thank you for reminding me to find the lessons that can be learned during hard times! You're an inspiration. Remember God has got you in His hands. Miss you, and get better SOON!!!
ReplyDelete