The first sign of lacking humility is thinking you are
full of it.
Yesterday was a wakeup call to remind me of the importance
of humility and that it is a constant battle that no one is exempt from.
Being late to things has not been a problem for me. I’ve
never missed a shift for work or day of school and always plan ahead (even to
the extreme at times) to make sue everything is in order. Alarms are set well
in advance to allow ample time to be ready for the day and on time for every
event in my calendar. When people show up late, even just a few minutes, I feel
that there is no excuse for their tardiness. My automatic reaction is to judge
them for not preparing ahead. This is a reaction I don’t even notice sometimes
but it is definitely there.
Well, yesterday morning I had lots of time, since sessions
start later on Sundays, so I took that time to go to a coffee shop and spend
the morning with God. In the middle of my devotions I began thinking about the
“point system” we have here at cannon beach. During orientation it was stressed
that you are given 10 points at the start of the summer and every time you
disobey a rule, are late, or wear the wrong uniform you loose a point. When all
your points are gone you leave for the summer. Well as I sat on the cushioned
bench in the coffee shop I began to wonder if anyone had made it the whole
summer without getting a point? As my thoughts continued to wonder, it occurred
to me that I would be able to go the full summer without a point. I mean I am not
going to drink alcohol, or be out past curfew, it would be no problem to stay
above board and leave the summer with all ten still intact. The biggest point
taker of the summer is being late and that was obviously not a problem for me.
Finishing my Bible study time I found that I still had a few
minutes to change my shoes for work. As I was leaving my room, I passed a
coworker and an immediate feeling of dread passed over me. She informed me that
devotions were at 9:30 and that I was a good ten minutes late to work! I had
planned on being there at 9:45! As she informed me that my name had been
mentioned in the meeting as being missing, I felt sick to my stomach. She told
me that they were doing personal alone time with God till 10:15 so I went back
to my room. It got me thinking about how arrogant I had been just that morning
to think that I would never break this rule and be late. I was ashamed and
embarrassed for the incident but more so for assuming I was above reproach in
this area.
That evening during the worship service that pastor spoke on
humility and it really hit home. The idea that arrogance does not have to be
visible physically but is a matter of the heart stood out as he preached. Others
may not have seen assuming that “I would never be like them” in a physical
sense but it was definitely there festering in my heart. The pastor spoke on
Luke 18 and the parable about the tax collector and the Pharisees “Who trusted
themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt (Luke 18:9)” this mirrored
what was in my heart and it took a humbling experience to bring me to terms
with my self-righteous attitude.
"For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted"
Luke 18:14
Amazing how God times sermons, discussions, thoughts, etc. to be perfectly in sync with both problem spots and blessings in our lives. Recently, I've had a lot of time for reflection on bad, or even just "not-so-great" habits and weeds....erf! Pretty convicting comparison!
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work, girl! Love ya!